Wednesday 17 April 2024

WHERE DID GORDON DIE?

Gordon's Death Cert
Click on image for a larger version

Wikipedia, when I looked it up, assured me that Gordon had died in Sutton. This was most likely because the writer knew that Gordon lived in Sutton, so presumably he had died there. As I know only too well from my research into family and local history, it is unwise to make assumptions and peddle them without corroboration.

As it happened, I knew only too well where Gordon had died. On the fatal day, he had left his house in Sutton and gone to Howth to buy sweets for his children. As he was purchasing the sweets in the sweetshop he collapsed and died.

Died? Or was he suddenly taken ill, was carted off to hospital only to be pronounced DOA?

Well, there was one way to find out, and that was to check out his death certificate, which is what I did

So I can now confidently state that the artist Gordon Brewster died in The Gem on Bloomsday 1946.

The Gem was a sweetshop in Howth, run by my mother between 1942 and 1949. So Gordon died in the Mammy's shop and that is why I was sort of curious about him down the years. In truth, I knew next to nothing about him except

"Gordon Brewster, the artist, died in the Mammy's shop"

Non-existent plaque


The Gem in more modern times




























No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is moderated so comments will not appear until approved. Trolls and other disrupters will not be tolerated. Serious, or humorous, comments will be given a fair hearing.

Clicking on anonymous will give you a drop down menu to choose your profile. In the section NAME/URL you can leave just a name and ignore the URL if you wish.

GORDON'S FINE ART

We know that Gordon was primarily an artist and a trained artist at that. He attended the Dublin Metropolitan School of Art, and he exhibi...