Sunday 21 April 2024

COVERED AT LAST


I had the idea to do a book on Gordon and his cartoons after I had seen them in the National Library and after I had done my talk on him in the Library. The furthest I had got at that time was to think of a cover for the book.

My first consideration was that I would use the cartoon above on the cover as it depicts Gordon in the role of a poor artist dependent on philanthropy to finance his art. Not strictly true in his case but, given the destruction of his fine art after his death, it seemed an appropriate cartoon for the occasion.


I then toyed around a little with some text.


And there the matter rested for the next number of years.


Meanwhile, about two years ago, I got involved in Leentje Folens book about her father. And while some might consider this a distraction, it did introduce me to MS Word including layout and graphics which proved invaluable when I did finally get round to my own book.

Leentje wanted the above photo of Albert and Juliette on the cover so we went from the same starting point as where I had stalled on the Brewster book.


Leentje's daughter Juliette had produced some handwritten titles, but unfortunately they didn't translate well to the book cover.


No matter how they were arranged.



So we went for a more conventional approach on the lines of the above.


And I then adapted that for the cover for my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is moderated so comments will not appear until approved. Trolls and other disrupters will not be tolerated. Serious, or humorous, comments will be given a fair hearing.

Clicking on anonymous will give you a drop down menu to choose your profile. In the section NAME/URL you can leave just a name and ignore the URL if you wish.

GORDON'S FINE ART

We know that Gordon was primarily an artist and a trained artist at that. He attended the Dublin Metropolitan School of Art, and he exhibi...